The teams that have gone through the I-Corps course have learned some valuable lessons including:
- The team makeup is an essential element of success.
- In successful projects the PI and entrepreneurial lead worked as a team together with shared responsibilities.
- Projects that failed had the PI as the “boss” and the entrepreneurial lead as the “gopher.”
- Teams that come in with a “point of view” on where the technology developed from the research can be deployed make more progress (platform technologies looking for applications make less progress).
- Successful Mentors become masters of the customer development and business model canvas approach and keep the teams “on the path.”
- Effective mentors look for and address deviations or issues as they arise, calling on the instructors and NSF as needed.
- If the team does not have the time to fully engage the process, the experience is difficult.